Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Ted Cruz's "A Time for Truth"

I feel like I need to write a million disclaimers before I write this post, because the mere fact that I am writing it is blowing my mind…. so here are the disclaimers:
1) I see Vendetta’s point about reading autobiographies and how the authors are putting their best foot forward and giving a heavily biased recount of their story… so, everything I will be discussing in this post will have to get fact checked later on and then maybe I ll write another post about how wrong I was on this one.
2) I am not becoming a republican, much less a tea party member… I absolutely disagree with everything they stand for and at the end of the day, it Is a matter of moral values, which apparently are very divergent (they are about the bottom line ($$) I think people come first)
So, here it is…. deep breath…based on what I have read so far (half way done) I have gained a little bit of respect for Ted Cruz (pause, deep breath, look around….the world did not end my me writing that statement..phew!)
Okay….so, lets start by the beginning. The book starts with his view of what happened last year while they were discussing (once again) the debt ceiling and defaulting on government debt. So, what happened (according to Ted) is that in order to raise the ceiling 60 votes were needed in the senate. The democrats had 55 senators and republicans 45, so basically in order for the debt ceiling to be increased, 5 republicans needed to agree…. The problem here is that neither of the republicans wanted to default on the debt, but they also did not want to vote for the debt ceiling increase, so they found themselves in a sticky position…basically, if they all voted no, then there would be turmoil as we would be once gain downgraded by S&P, and then they would be to blame and blah blah blah, but also, they all had made campaign promises to cut spending, and increasing their debt ceiling would not make them very popular amongst their supporters…so, they found a creative way out… Basically, voting rules can be changed as long as votes are unanimous so they decided to suggest that only 50 votes were needed for the debt ceiling to be raised…And given that democrats had 55 senators, then that would guarantee that the debt ceiling would be raised without any republicans having to vote in favor of that… that way they would avoid an economic catastrophe without pissisng off their voters.  So, according to Ted, he disagreed with this… he pledged to do everything he could to stop government spending and decreasing the number of votes needed would not do so…so, for starters, I think it is a respectable position.  Personally, I think that the best thing to do would have been to vote for the ceiling to be increased, and explain to voters the consequences of not doing so and how basically his hands were tied..Ultimately, doing so would have shown bipartisanship and would have potentially made him a few friends across the aisle, but overall, I think his approach is a bit more respectable than the tricky maneuver of just decreasing the voting number. Once again, I need to go back and read about this from somebody else’s perspective, but based on what he wrote, this are my thoughts (if anyone reading this has suggested reading material regarding this issue, I’d be eternally grateful).

He talks about the debt and how it went from 10 to 16 or 18 trillion during the Obama admin, but he seems to ignore, or fails to remember that a lot of that spending comes from a war that he did not wage and bailing out an economy he did not break.

There are a few other anecdotes in which I seem to at least see where he is coming from. He mentions that when he worked as a clerk for Rehnquist, he learned that a lot of the republican Supreme Court justices appointed at least one democrat as their clerk, while democrats never appointed republicans as their clerks. Regarding this, he says that it shows that republicans are more open minded, which I sort of agree with, however, I do want to fact check this and also know how did they treat their liberal clerks and did they take them seriously or did they just accept them as a political move to see more fair and unbiased?

He talks about Gerrymandering in Texas and how at some point districts were distributed in a way that the majority of representative were democrats while the majority of the votes were republicans, which I agree is a little bit weird, but once again, I’d like to fact check this.

He talks about the 2000 election when Bush won his first term and there was the issue of the recount of the votes in Florida and how every county in Florida was counting differently (some were counting the hanging chads, some were not), and I agree that it should have been uniform, however, in general, when there were so many deficiencies in the voting system, should they have made a re-vote (instead of recount) in general?

There is the issue with suits to remove the pledge of allegiance and religious figures from public offices and schools… which, I agree with…But also find to be a waste of time and resources. He does what other republicans do and is to invoke the spirituality of the founding fathers and the Christian values on which this country is based… The problem that I find with this is that times have changed. When you invoke the founding father you have to put them in the context of what they would do today. Back then, they lived in a relatively homogeneous population in terms of race and religion, but there is so much more diversity these days. I’d personally like to think they would be more than tolerant towards other religions (or lack of), but there really is no way of knowing… so, let’s go back to the fact that separating religion from government is a good idea and try to implement that to modern times. I am not saying all religious figures should be removed (that would probably cost a lot of money). I am not very religious, but I think they have become part of this countries traditions (more than religion itself, just like Christmas), but from now on we need to be more inclusive (or rather, exclusive) for instance, no public funds should be used for the depiction of religious figures, and privately funded depictions can be displayed in public places, as long as it is not limited to certain denominations, so if people are willing to privately pay for a nativity scene to be displayed at a pubic park, that same park should also be available for display of a Menorah if someone privately wants to fund for it to be displayed.

Finally (for now), there is the issue of the Vienna convention and how it infringes in state sovereignty. Basically, he describes the case of one Mexican national that kills and rapes two girls and gets the death penalty. Years later, the UN says that when the guy was arrested he was not told that he could contact the consulate of Mexico, which is against the Vienna convention, which the US ratified, and therefore his conviction was not legal (I see it as the equivalent of forgetting to read Miranda rights). He says that the treaty should not be used in state cases and it interferes with the states sovereignty. I disagree. The treaty was signed by the US, so the entire country entered into an agreement; therefore it needs to be upheld. You can’t pick and choose to respect a treaty so it either becomes legal or not…and if it is not legal, then other countries don’t have to give American prisoners the right to contact a consulate when they get arrested abroad.


So, that is it for now. I know…. it may be a little shallow and show how little I actually know about politics…I need to read a bit more, but, overall the take home to this is that, while I don’t agree with Ted Cruz, he at least comes off (in his book) as someone who stands by his beliefs (regardless of how wrong those beliefs are). Basically, at least with him, what you see is what you get unlike other politicians who will flip flop or use trickery to their convenience (obviously, I don’t think he doesn’t do it, but at least that is the way he comes off in the book). I promise I’ll do some fact checking and come back and discuss all of these based on what I learn.

Update: Good God, I swear..it is like they use the first half of the book to tell their warm and fuzzy story, and just when you are thinking "oh, this guy is not that bad" the claws come out... still haven't finished, so I ll write a new post about it later...but just needed to let me reader (yes, I think I only have 1) that I have come back to my senses!

4 comments:

  1. I disagree with you when you say you find it respectable that Ted Cruz was up to shutting down the Government just because he was so firmly believed in his principles. Running a country is not a matter of ideology and so to a certain extent some "flip-flopping" from politicians is acceptable, because there is no ONE true and correct way of running a country or living a life. Ted Cruz BELIEVES he is RIGHT and so is willing to sacrifice a whole country so not to step on his own beliefs. That doesn't have a place in public office.
    Now, the other point is, OK, you found something "respectable" in your "enemy" (let's just call Republicans that for the sake of brevity!) I don't think you really had to make a long intro to explain why you found yourself in agreement with Ted Cruz. You just liked Ben Carson in your previous post, right? I see this as a strong point for you. I think you should take it as a plus for yourself as an open-minded person, as a test that you passed, that if you find valid argument (it wasn't valid to me, though!), even from your enemies, your brain has the fluidity to change, that you can change your mind and you can agree with it and can accept it. This is good, this shows your way of thinking is not ideological but rational, unlike Ted Cruz whose beliefs and his brain are solid. All societies are fluid and change over time, you can adapt yourself, but he can't and he will go obsolete. That kind of solidity is not necessarily respectable!

    To tell you the truth, a few days ago I found myself in complete agreement on not one but two issues that was brought up by not Ted Cruz, not Rubio, not Carson, but our very own, Donald Trump! :) You probably followed the news and heard it when he said (1) the world would be a better place if the US had not intervened in Iraq and Libya, and (2) the Superpacks should be abolished and the candidates should not be allowed to use such money! Don't you agree with these? The thing is he might have had ulterior motifs when he said those things, but what he said I agree with..! And that doesn't make me his supporter or a republican or a tea party, because there are tens of others issues that I totally disagree with him and other republicans... Anyhow, if you see "good" in "bad" people, that's a plus for you! shows your beliefs are based on rational than a preset agenda!

    Also the thing that Cruz mentioned about the dem judges appointing fellow assistants I am sure is absolute crap. Even if it's true, it's not a big deal. Kind of sounds like my kid nagging about his friends not sharing toys... I have no evidence, just my gut and intuition based on how I knew him based on his judgments and opinions on other matters, tells me he is just making this up. you fact check this and let me know.

    ps. Your readership court is here by invitation. Also, it's the quality that counts, not the quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also that part about Vienna Convention, .. it's just American arrogance in its purest form... the arrogance coming from the belief that "We are the best country and Nation in the world" so international treaties come second to our internal Law even though our central government signed it. That just means they do not believe in Central Government. Shows he is thinking about the "United States" as "Separate States" and separate countries that can at any point in time if they find themselves in disagreement with the central government, take guns and riot and call for independence... This is so 1800's! :) This is just so confederate thinking. If that's what Cruz wants why don't they just hold a public referendum on whether or not some States like Texas to be independent or not, and then go for the results, if they get Yes then have the balls and call it out, and if No then just shut up and go away...He (and they, the tea party) don't have the balls for either case... They just nag and use this to get votes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not surprised you disagree with me...haha... the funny thing is that we sometime disagree and are to an extent saying the same thing. I did say that the right thing to vote for the debt ceiling increase in order to avoid a default and shutdown and explain to the constituents that although he disagreed with the ceiling increase, not doing so would have a negative impact on the economy....what I respect is the fact that, unlike other repubs, he chose to vote for what he believed in instead of using the trickery of simply decreasing the votes needed so that they could still vote no, but avoid a default on debt and be held responsible for it...that was a sneaky move.
    Funny you mentioned about the thing Donald Trump said about campaigns. I still need to finish the book, but one of my upcoming rants was about Ted Cruz's mongering and it is related to this. I guess at some point congress wanted to pass a law that limited the amount of money spent and raised for political campaigns and stopping corporations from getting involved in politics. His opinion is that this is an abolition of the first amendment. I am all for it. First of all, the US presidency is one of the most (if not the most) important figures in the world and should not be determined by how much money a candidate has. also, accepting contributions by corporations poses a conflict of interest, which should not be allowed. The final point of this is that calling that an infringement or abolition of freedom of speech is a massive hyperbole that does nothing but insinuate that the government is taking away our rights. Anyways..I have to finish reading the book today because the library loan expires, so I'll end this comment here, as there will be more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your point about Cruz not wanting to be sneaky, but then you find it respectable that he insisted on being a bigot? :) The right thing to do was what you suggested, so... Anyhow, I agree with your comment about our disagreements!... you may call it ... Lost in Translation!

    ReplyDelete