Friday, July 8, 2016

Black Lives Matter

I have not written in a while…not due to lack of topic, but due to the fact that I have something planned, then I wake up to some news that derails my thoughts into a completely different direction…and it seems to happen every day, so never finish one entire thought.
So, in the wake of the recent events, I will sit down and finish one rant: BLACK LIVES MATTER.
I woke up to a Facebook post from a relative that said “ALL LIVES MATTER” and it made me upset. Saying that Black lives matter doesn’t imply that other lives don’t. That is not what the conversation is all about. It is about the fact that there are no videos of police officers shooting white people over a busted taillight, because police officers seem to understand that white lives matter. It is not an attack on white people. Nobody is asking you to renounce to your whiteness, or the privileges that come with it. What they ask is for you to acknowledge this. That you don’t have to worry about your partner getting killed in front of your daughter, just for having a busted taillight. That you don’t have to worry about being killed for walking on the street. They ask for you to listen to their stories and try to understand. Yes, Philando Castile was armed, but he had a permit, and an open carry permit, and he tried to make the police aware of this…he did this so that the officer didn’t see his weapon and jump to conclusion that would get him killed…yet, he is dead. I have been pulled over twice in my life, and obviously both times I have been asked to show my license and registration, and both times I have had to reach into the glove compartment to find the registration and my purse to find my wallet… and neither time did I think that I had to warn the officer that I was going to do so. And when I did reach for those, the policer officer did not react with fear and draw his gun out. I was recently walking around with friends, and we stopped at a light. There was a police officer standing there, and my friends kept walking, even though the light was red for crossing the street. The police officer didn’t do anything, and we joked that they were ballsy for jaywalking in front of a police officer…but the truth is that they were not ballsy, they were just white. Michael Brown was stopped by the police for walking on the street of Ferguson, and he ended up getting killed.
Being white doesn’t make you racist, but denying the facts without any logic does. Look, if you don’t believe there is a race problem in this country, go ahead and show me the facts and the figures, but so far, the ones I have seen point to the fact that there is. And I have heard the arguments…that black people commit more violent crimes, that Walter Scott was stopped for a tail light, but then he started running away from the police…. But there is a lot more to the story. Walter Scott started running when he realized that he was going to be arrested for skipping on child support, and that getting arrested was going to make him lose his job, and losing his job was going to make him miss even more payments. The truth is that we think we earned our privileges because we finished high school and went to college, but, at least in my case, this was because I was lucky. My parents made a good living, so I never had to worry about working as a teenager to be able to afford luxuries, much less to help put food on the table. I was then able to go to college, and my parents were able to pay for it. All I had to do was go to class, and get good grades. My high school wasn’t great, but it offered AP classes, and honors classes, wchich probably helped get into college. My high school had money to buy high end calculators for every student in my math classes….so, do you think that if black people stayed in school, and committed less crimes, then they would have to worry less about getting killed? then you are right…. let’s fight for them, to make sure they are provided access to the same levels of education as we did. That we provide incentives for them to stay in school and pursue a higher education…because let’s face it, education becomes less of a priority when your parents are struggling to put food on the table.
Anyway. I leave you with a couple of links to articles that I found interesting and worth reading…I am sorry this rant is all over the place…But that is my state of mind this morning …

http://jezebel.com/all-the-greedy-young-abigail-fishers-and-me-1782508801?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Jezebel_facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment